Sunday, December 13, 2009

"It used to be that computer viruses attacked only your hard drive. Now they attack your dignity"

that quote, my friends was in today's front page article of the new york times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/14/technology/internet/14virus.html?hp

Malicious programs are rampaging through Web sites like Facebook and Twitter, spreading themselves by taking over people’s accounts and sending out messages to all of their friends and followers. The result is that people are inadvertently telling their co-workers and loved ones how to raise their I.Q.’s or make money instantly, or urging them to watch an awesome new video in which they star.

“I wonder what people are thinking of me right now?” said Matt Marquess, an employee at a public relations firm in San Francisco whose Twitter account was recently hijacked, showering his followers with messages that appeared to offer a $500 gift card to Victoria’s Secret.

really? is this the crappy example that the new york times finds?

i can do much better.

so my facebook account got hacked last week and i was sending people chats about this awesome new diet program i am on.

but, the real embarssing one was this one:

"75% of girls are bisexual. are you into 23yr old girls into cumming?"

apparently that is what i was chatting with folks about on facebook. only two people told me about this.

  1. my friend andy from minnesota who just got married. in fact him and his wife were staying at my place when they got engaged this spring. talk about embarrassing, when you get a chat that says something: "so you sent me kind of a weird message the other day..."
  2. or how about that i also sent this to adam duvendeck, ya know like the olympian. so i never actually really had a conversation with him...other than saying hi in passing. but he was nice enough to respond-- not cause he is into 23 yr old girls cumming-- but because he told me he wanted to tell me i was hacked.
now, after reading the nytimes article, i realized i didn't take the appropriate action. nytimes instructs:
After discovering their accounts have been seized, victims typically renounce the unauthorized messages publicly, apologizing for inadvertently bombarding their friends. These messages — one might call them Tweets of shame — convey a distinct mix of guilt, regret and embarrassment.
yeah, i didn't do this. i mean, i just thought i'd let it slide. who knows, maybe my facebook account is still sending out these chats. guilt, regret, embarassment? well, i just kind of thought it was funny.

anyway, point of this is not about my hacking... but come on new york times! is this best example you can dig up for your article "embarrassing" hacking about about telling your friends how to up their iq ... or getting a $500 coupon for victoria secret...? i could have provided a much more interesting antecdote.

but may it is that your editor just won't let you write 'cumming' in news print.

thankfully, i can write whatever i want on my blog. (hi mom!)

5 comments:

Amy said...

Thank God you acknowledged your Mom. I'm sitting there, reading this thinking...Oh, my, their Mom is reading this....

Sorry you got hacked.

BIG BROTHER said...

Yet another reason why the NY Times is going to go bankrupt. Shoddy reporting. Shoddy.

Anonymous said...

I got a invitation to join a hook up site for gay men, from a client. I had hoped he was hacked but I must say it was a little awkward to start with at our next business meeting, but hey if that's his thing what's-it-matter, it ain't mine, but I wasn't going to embarrass him either way.

Still don't know if he was hacked...

Anonymous said...

Duvendeck is a perve, i'm sure he loved that shit

Ominotigre said...

Thanks for writing again, Beth. Your blog is consistently hilarious.

Anyway, simply changing your password should clear up your facebooks.